a woman's quest to finally get her life in check

Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 1

As my boyfriend told me last night, "tomorrow will be a great day because you have the ability to make it great." And it's true. Today is the first day of my new life....and it will be a great day!
Everyone has a past and a reason for becoming who they are today. I'm not going to tell my sob story of why I look the way I do or feel the way I do. I'm not trying to gain any sympathy, I just need to be held accountable for the 100th time I try to journal my way through possible weight loss. Speaking of weight loss, that's not my only goal. I want to be healthy. Technically, as my doctor would tell you, I am generally healthy; no diseases or viruses or genetic issues. My problem? My love of food and hate of exercise. Well, maybe not hate, just complete lack of desire to participate in any exercise-related activity. There, I said it.
But I realize if I don't do it now, I probably won't ever do it. And even more so, if I don't do it now, it's only going to get worse.
In a recent trip abroad I saw first hand how poor my cardio is. I wasn't able to do half the things my friends were doing without working up a sweat and loosing my breath. The time is now. (I've said that before, but this time I mean it.)
Several of my friends have lost weight preparing for their weddings, for the summer, for various other reasons. But I am loosing weight for me. I want to loose weight to be healthy. Technically, by the BMI charts, I am "overweight". I am 5'1'' and 150lbs. When I look at myself in the mirror, I don't have that crazy unrealistic view of myself. I don't think I'm "overweight" but I do think I am over the weight I should be for my health.
I want to be comfortable in my own skin. My boyfriend loves me and my body; he tells me daily that I should walk around naked more often. His positive energy is helpful but at this point I need more than "wow, you're sexy, I need "let's go to the gym, get sweaty and then take a shower together". I think that would get me motivated!
So here's my plan:
Everyday I'm going to log what I ate, what exercise I performed and what I actually did that day, all as honestly as possible. I need to do this. We just recently moved to another state and I have not yet found a job. My day usually consists of me waking up late, hanging out on the couch all day and snacking as I please. Meals usually consist of chips and salsa and chocolate.
THIS HAS GOT TO END.
Along with the logging of events I will begin a new regimen of healthy living. I am going to start taking vitamins, drinking 2 liters of pure water, continue to oil pull (an Ayurvedic method of swishing cold compressed sunflower seed oil in your mouth to help "pull" the toxins from your body), eat healthy veggie and fruit based meals, and try to limit my eating to 5 times a day. In addition, I am committing to 2 gym classes per week and some form of exercise everyday.
Wish me luck!
A healthy new me starts today!
This is what I look like on day one.....hopefully changes will happen in the near future!


No comments:

Post a Comment